Some Greene County Arkansas Banks

Greene County Bank

Greene County Bank was incorporated February 10, 1888, with a capital stock of $25,000, divided into one thousand shares at a par value of $25 each. Stockholders were:

Dr. T.H. Wyse
John F. Brinkman
Richard Jackson
J.E. Reddick
J.F. Hasty and Sons
W.H. Jones
A.P. Mack
W.T. Witherington
Bertig Bros.
John Nilson

The Board of Directors for the first year consisted of:

Dr. T.H. Wyse
John Nilson
Richard Jackson
W.C. Hasty
W.T. Witherington

In the absence of records about the closing of this bank, it is necessary to take the word of one of the stockholders, Dr. R.C. Gizzard, who stated that the bank failed on January 1, 1901. He said that the stockholders were assessed 6½% of the value of their stock in order that the depositors might be paid in full.

Bank of Paragould

The Bank of Paragould was incorporated March 22, 1889, with a capital stock of $30,000, divided into twelve hundred shares of the value of $25 each. Stockholders were:

C. Wall
A.P. Mack
H.W. Glasscock
A.A. Knox
E.S. Bray
A. Bertig
W.H. Jones
J.W. Crawford
Saul Bertig
W.J. McDonald
G.M. Rosengrant
J.F. Cardwell
B.H. Crowley
J. Dardinger
Oney Wall Kitchens
Elma Wall Ellis
D.D. Hodges
M. Claud Wall
T.R. Willcockson
W.A.H. McDaniel
J.H. Bryant
J.J. Downey
W.E. Baird
J.M. Reid
H.R. Schisler

Directors were:

C. Wall — President
W.H. Jones — Vice-President
A.A. Knox — Secretary
E.S. Bray — Cashier
A.P. Mack
J.W. Crawford
D.D. Hodges
A. Bertig

On May 2, 1903, the capital stock was increased to $50,000, according to State Bank Department records. Soon afterwards, proceedings were begun for the conversion of this bank into a national bank. On June 20, 1903, it became the First National Bank of Paragould.

National Bank of Commerce

The Bank of Commerce was incorporated July 3, 1901, with a capital stock of $50,000, divided into 2,000 shares of $25 each. Stockholders were:

Eli Meiser
Richard Jackson
Earl Gramling
N. Donaldson
J.D. Block
T.B. Kitchens
L.U. Stedman
H.S. Trice
J.G. McKenzie
A.G. Dickson
Mrs. Nettie Neely
R.L. Alexander
Mrs. S.L. Wyse
J.D. Goldman
Julius Lesser
Ben Adler
Sol Adler
S.L. Joseph
Thos. Knight
D.C. Kennard
E.N. Royall
D.W. McPherson
M.F. Collier
R.C. Gizzard
John L. Matthews
C.A. Parker
H.J. Wrape

Board of Directors consisted of:

Eli Meiser — President
S.L. Joseph — Vice-President
T.B. Kitchens — Secretary and Treasurer
Richard Jackson
J.D. Block
R.L. Alexander
R.C. Gizzard

State Bank Department records reveal that the capital stock was increased to $75,000 in 1906, and to $100,000 in 1910.

Back to: History of Green County Arkansas
Back to: Greene County Arkansas History & Genealogy